The Twentieth and Twenty-First
Things to Consider:
- World Wars I and II
- Colonialism and
- In what ways, according to
the editors, did modernity disrupt the old order?
- Explain the significance of
- Explain the significance
of Friedrich Nietzsche.
- Describe the ways in which
the position of women changed during the early Modern period.
- What is the British
- Explain: "In winning a war,
Great Britain lost an empire" (1022).
- Describe the imagist
- Explain: "Reality and its
truth had gone inward" (1033).
- What does stream of
- Describe the Theater of the
Other Discussion Questions:
- According to the editors, how did the aestheticism
movement alienate the modern artists from society?
- Explain the significance of the Education Act of
- Explain T. S. Eliot's argument in "Tradition and the
- What are the characteristics of the Edwardian and
- When did the Irish Free State achieve independence?
- What did "colonization in reverse" involve?
- Describe the role of the IRA in British politics.
- Explain T. S. Eliot's role in the "modernist
- Describe the New Apocalypse.
- Describe "The Movement."
- Describe the writings of the post-colonial poets.
- Describe the three periods of the twentieth-century
- Explain: "Ulysses
and Finnegan's Wake
were influential but unrepeatable" (1035).
- Explain the "fear that the postmodern novelist was
condemned to a disabled career of parroting old stuff"
- Explain the stance of post-colonial novelists.
- Where did the century's first major theatrical
- Describe the innovations of Pinter and Stoppard.