Things to Consider:
** Homework Questions** (See Job Q's )
- Version of Creation
- Relationship of God to Human
- Time Line of Composition
- Oral Tradition=>Priestly Revision
- Types of Knowledge
- Power of Dreams
- Serpent and Garden/ Figure of Satan
- Relationships b/w Men and Women, Jews and Egyptians
- Justice vs. Mercy
- Connections to Gilgamesh
- See Group Discussion Exercise
- How do the arts of the ancient Hebrews differ from those
of the Ancient Greeks and Romans?
- What themes and issues influence Hebraic narrative?
Adam & Eve:
- How does this version of creation compare with other
versions examined this far?
- God says that if they eat the fruit, on that day they
will die. Is this true? Explain.
Noah (See News Story ):
- Why is nakedness (or knowledge thereof) evil?
- Why does Cain kill Abel? (See potentially useful discussion
from Deut. 12:27 )
- Why is there a Flood? Why does Noah survive (Why does God
choose him to build an ark?)
- What does the Rainbow signify? What does God
- Why does God create different languages?
- Does their desire to build a tower resemble Gilgamesh's
desire to write his name on bricks? Explain.
Other Discussion Questions:
- When did the written history of the Hebrews begin?
- Who was the first leader of the Hebrews?
- What is narrative?
- What is the predominant concern in Greco-Roman narrative?
- What issues are seen in narrative of the Middle Ages?
- Where does the idea of the serpent as Satan originate?
- Who would harm Cain (Why is the mark necessary)?
- What birds does Noah release?
** Job Homework Questions **
- What is the relationship between God and Satan?
- Whose idea is it to make Job suffer? What is the
reason for doing so?
- Why doesn't Job give offerings for his daughters'
- Whom does Job curse?
- How does Job describe the grave?
- Explain: "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in
him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him"
- How does Job describe his past in Ch. 29?
- How does God respond to Job?
- What compensation does Job receive for his suffering?
Other Discussion Questions:
Joseph (see genealogy ) :
- How does this story compare to the story of Cain and
- Are Jacob and Israel the same person?
- Why do Joseph's brothers hate him?
- Explain Joseph's dreams on this page and on the top of
- Why do his brothers throw Joseph in a well?
- Why do Reuben and Jacob rent their clothes? What
does that mean?
- Why is Joseph imprisoned?
- Explain the Baker's and Butler's dreams.
- Explain the Pharoah's dreams.
- How does Joseph come to marry Asenath?
- Why does Joseph put their money back in his brothers'
- Why is it an "abomination" for Egyptians to eat with
- Why does Joseph "frame" Benjamin?
Back to Top
- Explain: "So now it was not you that sent me
hither, but God" (227).