James Joyce (1882-1941)
Things to Consider:
- Currency (see A35):
- guinea = 21 shillings
- pound (quid) = 20 shillings
- crown = 5 shillings
- florin = 2 shillings
- shilling (bob) = 12 pence
- tanner = 6 pence
- copper = 1 pence
- Alcohol Consumption
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Why did Joyce believe that a career as a writer implied a
career as an exile?
from Dubliners (1914) (watch the 1st 12:30)
- According to Joyce, what is
- Describe the setting and its significance to the story.
- Explain: "Her name sprang to my lips at moments in
strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand"
- Why is the speaker's uncle late? What has he been
- What "signs" does the speaker "interpret"?
- Why doesn't the speaker buy anything?
- Explain the final sentence.