Things To Consider:
** Homework Questions **
- Relationship between Gods and Humans: Islam vs.
Egyptian vs. Hebrew vs. Greek vs. Roman
The Qur'an (610-632)
- Describe the influence of Islamic scholars on the early
stages of the Renaissance.
- When did Islam originate? When did Muhammad live?
- What is the relationship, in Muslim belief, among Moses,
Jesus, and Muhammad?
Surah 5: "The Feast"
- Explain: "[D]o not let hatred of others lead you away from
- How is the relationship among Muslims and Jews and
- How is the story of Cain and Abel retold in this surah?
- Explain: "You who believe, do not take the Jews and
Christians as allies, they are allies only to each other"
Surah 19: Mary
- Explain: "God does not love those who exceed the limits"
- How does the story of Jesus's birth in this surah compare
with New Testament versions?
Other Discussion Questions:
- Where are the names of the two capitals of the Roman Empire
in the 4th century?
- Describe the causes and consequences of the Jewish
- Describe the differences between Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims.
- What is Sufism?
- When did the eastern Roman Empire fall?
- Describe the significance of Arabic to the formation of the
- Describe the importance of Plato to early Christian and
- What is a frame narrative?
- What was the purpose of the Crusades?
- Describe the relationship between epic and romance
beginning in the 12th century.
- Who are the "people of the Book" (859)?
- Explain the organization of the Qur'an.
Surah 1: The Opening
- How is Allah described in this surah?
Surah 5: The Feast
- Explain: "[D]o not fear people, fear Me" (864).
Surah 19: Mary
- Why is this surah called "Mary"?
Surah 55: The Lord of Mercy