Things to Consider:
** Homework Questions **
- Buddhism and Taoism
- Chinese Literature Resources
- Poems of the T'ang Dynasty
- Describe the major developments of the Medieval Chinese
- How did the principles of Buddhism conflict with those of
- In what ways was Buddhism like Christianity?
- How does Buddhism relate to Taoism (Daoism)?
Wang Wei (ca. 699-761)
- According to the editors, how does the classical literature
of the Song dynasty compare with that of the Tang?
- Describe the characteristics of Wang Wei's poetry.
- Describe how Wang Wei's poems reflect Buddhist thinking.
Make specific textual references.
Li Bo (701-762)
"The Sun Rises and Sets"
- Summarize the message of this poem.
"South of the Walls We Fought"
- Describe the speaker's attitude towards war in this poem.
"Bring in the Wine"
- Describe the speaker's attitude toward drinking in this
Other Discussion Questions:
- Why is the period from 220-589 called the "Period of
- According to the editors, what was the significance
of Buddhism to this period?
- What are the "Four Noble Truths" of Buddhism?
- What are some of the practices associated with Taoism?
- What were some of the accomplishments of the Sui and Tang
- According to the editors, what was the most
influential invention during the Tang dynasty?
- According to the editors, for what is the Tang
dynasty most famous?
- Explain the role of poetry during the Tang dynasty.
- Explain the function of parallelism in Tang poetry.
- Why did his contemporaries call Li Bo "the banished
"Drinking Alone with the Moon"
Back to Top
- How does the message of this poem compare to the message of
"Bring in the Wine"? Be specific in your explanation.