Things to Consider:
** Homework Questions **
- Chinese Literature Resources
- Poems of the T'ang Dynasty
- What is the "Shih" form?
- According to Onyeberichi, how is Chinese poetry
- What distinctions are made in Chinese poetry between the
mountains and the city?
Li Po (701-762)
"Drinking Alone By Moonlight"
- Why does the speaker need to drink?
- Explain: "A cup of wine levels life and death / And
a thousand things obstinately hard to prove" (7-8).
Po Chu-I (742-846)
"In Early Summer Lodging"
- Why do the three men go to the temple?
- Whose "golden ghost was born"(17)? What phenomenon
does this refer to?
- In lines 17-20, what literary technique is used?
Yuan Chen (779-831)
- What does the pitcher represent to the speaker?
- How do dead men "find their way to the world above the
Other Discussion Questions:
"Clearing at Dawn"
- How is the tone of this poem different from that of
"At the End of Spring"
"The Chrysanthemums in the Eastern Garden"
- Why does the speaker seek comfort in the Doctrine of Tao?
- How does it comfort him, if at all?
Back to Top
- Why can wine no longer bring comfort to the speaker?
- What effect do the chrysanthemums have on the speaker?
- How does this poem compare with "Drinking Alone"?