Latin American Literature
Things to Consider:
- Time / Chronology / History
- Loyalty (i.e. to family, to country, to posterity)
- According to the editors, what does the labyrinth
represent in Borges's writing?
- Explain: Borges "preferred art that calls attention to its
own artificiality" (1337).
Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)
"The Garden of Forking Paths" (1941)
- Explain the significance of footnote #3.
- What secret does Tsun hold?
- Why does Tsun want to reveal this secret to the Germans?
- Why does Tsun buy a ticket for a more distant station?
What might this represent?
- Explain: "The author of an atrocious undertaking
ought to imagine that he has already accomplished it, ought
to impose upon himself a future as irrevocable as the past"
- Explain: "Time forks perpetually toward innumerable
- Why does Tsun kill Albert?
Other Discussion Questions:
- What is the significance of the first two pages being
gone (how do we know there are two)?
- Who is Dr. Yu Tsun?
- Who is Capt. Richard Madden? Why is he after Tsun?
- Who is Runeberg?
- What is the Thousand and One Nights?
- Explain the discussion of chess.
- Why is Tsun contrite at the end?