Asian Background & Poetry
Things To Consider:
** Homework Questions **
- Imagery & Language
- Japanese Literature Resources
- Chinese Literature Resources
- Indian Literaure Resources
- Reading Poetry Site
Kitamura Kigin (1624-1705)
- What is the construction of a haiku/hokku?
- What is the form of a tanka (waka)?
The Mountain Well (1648)
Morikawa Kyoriku (1656-1715)
- In the third line, the expression "holy men" is one
possible translation of the word hijiri. What
other possible translations appear for this word and how do
these different meanings work together to create a pun?
Haikai Dialogue (1697)
- What, according to Kyoriku, is the central technique of
Basho's school of poetry?
- Explain the different associations for each of the variants
of the second line in the four versions of the poem.
Sir Rabindranath (Thakur) Tagore (1861-1941)
"Punishment" (1892) (see pp. 26-29)
- Describe the image of the tree roots on the river
bank. What literary techniques is being employed?
- Why does Dukhiram kill Radha?
- Why does Chidam lie about who has killed Radha?
- How is Ramlochan's testimony ironic?
- Why is Chandara convicted?
Other Discussion Questions:
- Explain: Haiku is "the shortest poetic form of world
literature with a truly global reach" (321).
- What does Haikai mean?
- What basic spirit did all the schools of haikai
have in common?
- When did haiku become popular?
- What does "hokku" mean?
- What is linked verse?
- Describe the kigo and kireji.
- For what genre of literature was Tagore recognized with the
Nobel Prize in 1913?
- Why did Tagore in 1919 reject the British knighthood
bestowed upon him a few years earlier?
- What do the editors consider to be "one of the unusual
aspects of Tagore's work" (963)?
- What is the Rashomon effect?
- Which of Tagore's literary skills do the editors identify
- What is the "kuri-caste"?
- Why does Chidam ask Chandara to confess to the murder?
- Why does Chandara not tell the story Ramlochan has