1. Compare the treatment of the figure of the Promethean overreacher in Byron's "Prometheus" and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Do these two texts portray these figures (Prometheus and Victor Frankenstein) in the same way? Is the author's expressed (implicit or explicit) attitude toward these figure the same or different? How so? Explain by using very specific references to the poem and novel, quoting specific passages to support your claims.
2. Develop a comparison involving three (3) of the characters in Shelley's novel in terms of their relationship to Nature. How does their views of or interaction with Nature influence what these characters do in the novel and what eventually happens to them? Explain by using very specific references to the novel, quoting specific passages to support your claims.
3. The word "doppelgänger" was used repeatedly in our discussion. Explain the degree to which both Clerval and the Creature can be seen as doppelgangers for Victor, discussing such issues as relationship to Nature, relationship to Women, and view of Self in your discussion. Be sure to include quotes from Victor that describe his view of the similarities between himself and each of the other two figures.
4. Describe the criminal justice system(s) presented in this novel, using the three examples of William's murder, Clerval's murder, and Elizabeth's murder, as well as the official responses to these acts, in your discussion. Is it a fair system? Do all crimes get investigated in the same way? Do some people receive preferential treatment? If so, who? What characteristics determine the treatment the different suspects receive? Incorporate your responses to these questions into a smooth discussion that includes quotes describing each of these situations.
5. An important concept that we discussed was the
relationship between appearance and reality. Describe what this
relationship is, using the examples of three different
characters, including Victor, the Creature, and one other
figure. Are these figures always what they seem? What
factors contribute to the distinction between appearance and
reality? Incorporate your responses to these questions
into a smooth discussion, using quotes to describe each of the